Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tool Time

Well another summer has come and past in lighting quick speed, as always. This summer had it's ups and downs as any did however I am still sad to see it leave yet am happy to welcome fall with arms wide open. As I mentioned before I love fall mainly for football, college specifically. Another reason why I love fall you ask? Well it is because I get to wear my favorite outfit of all time......SWEATSHIRTS AND JEANS!!!

Well I guess reminiscing on what I failed to do this summer is not what I'm in the mood for so let's talk about the last weekend of the summer....Labor Day! This was the first weekend where I was able to go home (being my parents house) for the first time since we have moved to Indiana. Yes I have seen them (dad's road trip, funeral, etc.) however nothing can compare to being in your own house and going to your old favorite hot-spots. 

We weren't able to leave until Saturday because I had to work the Saturday shift this week due to all the football games we are going to in September. Anywho, when we left it was sunny and HOT HOT HOT and it was that way the entire 4 hour drive back home to C-Town. We listened to football games on and off when we were able to pick up the signal on the radio and all seemed to be going well. That was until we got to the 'rents house and realized that both the games we had been listenting to (and had lost signal of the last hour of the trip) were on rain delays and the stadiums were evacuated due to lightning :-0. Both the Notre Dame game in South Bend (where we live) and the U of M game were taking hours upon hours....literally. So we watched football until 10pm when they were finally over!


We did not realize that we were signing up for a hard-labor weekend when we went to C-Town. My dad has recently decided that now is the perfect time to have a mid-life crisis and it seems every time I see my parents now they have some new surprise they want to show me. First it was a brand new sports car.


2011 Dodge Challenger - Burnt Orange....love it!

And this weekend they decided to throw this one on me:



60' LED 3-D TV- heavenly!!!


Now the nice new wood you see there for the built in was not there when we first arrived. Little did John and I know we would be spending the majority of the weekend helping my mom, dad, and baby sister Bailey build this entertainment center. It was a fun family project but it was not without it's challenges. 


We started off by borrowing a family member's SUV (thanks Aunt Roxie!) to go pick up the 3/4 boards we would need....well of course the hardwood store didn't have what we needed so we had to head to the next town over which is about 20 minutes and hope they had it there (no worries they did! Obviously :-) ). 

At this point the concept had been explained to me multiple times however I was not able to visualize what it was and how this board was going to hold up the TV. I mean come on it's a big @$$ TV folks! So I was a little skeptical and 2nd guessing everything. But as the picture shows it all worked out. 


Thankfully John was there to help, seeing as I come from a family of 3 daughters none of us are really handy with the building and tool's aspect of life. Now we are all self-proclaimed tom-boys, always have been and always will be however building is too "boy" you could say. My loving John was right there and willing to help with all, I am so lucky to have him and look forward to what our life has in store, but that's a whole other story. 


John and my dad did a great job (mostly my dad because, well let's be honest John isn't the best with power tools either) and were able to finish most of the project before we had to leave on Monday afternoon. We were able to all put nail the board on and officially mount the wall.....they were able to install the mount however not put the TV on till after we left.


All-in-all for having been sick for the days prior to going home I was rather happy with how the weekend turned out. I feel very blessed that I have a great family who I can go home to and just relax. I am also blessed that my family and John get along as well as they do, he is already a part of the family even if it isn't official yet. 


So I leave you with this question as we part tonight:

How did you spend your Labor Day weekend? What were the highlights of it?

1 comment:

  1. HOw do you know i don't know how to use power tools

    ReplyDelete